Eggs are the cornerstone of a brain healthy diet. This is a simple, quick, delicious and brain healthy meal that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Egg yolk is rich in choline, the building block for acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter most important in memory functioning. They are also rich in Vitamin D, deficiency of which has been associated with depression and memory disorders
- Tomatoes are bursting with carotenoids like lycopene and beta-carotene, which are anti-oxidants, protecting the brain from damage of free radicals which cause inflammation and are implicated in degenerative disease such as Alzheimer’s.
- Spinach is packed with iron, folate, B-vitamins, Vitamin A, and most notably, Vitamin K.
- Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats, needed for a healthy nervous system. They are also packed full on Vitamin E, which the vitamin the most Americans do not meet the recommended daily allowance of, and needed for the functioning of a healthy nervous system.
2 large eggs
a handful of mini heirloom tomatoes
2 cups of spinach
½ a large avocado
a teaspoon of butter
a tablespoon of basil-infused olive oil
- Place a small pot on medium heat and add butter. (although it is usually better to use extra virgin olive oil, butter makes for better, silkier scrambled eggs)
- In the meantime, slice mini tomatoes into halves.
- Cut avocado in half, and slice half into pieces.
- Place a frying pan on low heat, and add the basil-infused olive oil. (Obviously regular EVOO can be used instead, but the basil really gives this dish an extra kick).
- Toss tomatoes into the pan for 3 minutes before turning over with a spatula and frying for another 3 minutes.
- Add spinach to the pan, making sure the surface of the pan is entirely covered in spinach. The tomatoes should not be touching the surface and instead covered in the spinach leaves. Allow to sautee for 2-3 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Crack eggs directly into the pot with the melted butter, and immediately whisk. Take off heat so that the eggs don’t over cook, to continue whisking together, then return to heat. Keep doing this ever 20-30 seconds until the eggs begin to solidify.
- While the eggs are still running but beginning to solidify, add chopped mozzarella and mix with wooden spoon. Turn heat down to lowest level.
- Plate the spinach and tomatoes. Intersperse chopped avocado pieces with the tomatoes.
- Add the scrambled eggs with the now gooey mozzarella to the plate.
- Top with a tablespoon of basil pesto and then drizzle with balsamic glaze.